People in the UK are known to enjoy drinking tea, eating fish & chips, and watching football. You may think you know the UK…until you read about these 12 fascinating and funny facts about the country!
1. The 1st King of England made a law that everyone had to be in bed by 8pm.
2. French was the official language of the nation for 300 years.
3. There is not a single point in Britain that is more than 75 miles away from a coastline.
4. 165 million cups of tea per day are consumed in the United Kingdom.
5. Soccer, rugby, golf, boxing, and cricket were ALL invented in the United Kingdom.
6. Windsor Palace is the oldest and largest castle in the world that is occupied.
7. There are more chickens in England than people.
8. English is the official language of the United Kingdom. However, several other languages are recognized, such as Welsh, Irish, Cornish, and Scottish Gaelic
9. London was the first city in the entire world to have an undergound subway system
10. The oldest home in the UK is about 6,000 years old. It is furnished with furniture made of stone, and still remains today.
11. Big Ben in London actually doesn’t refer to the clock. Big Ben is the bell that is located in the clock tower.
12. Children in the United Kingdom over 5 years old can consume alcohol at home and other private areas.
Which one of these facts did you find the most ridiculous and surprising? Leave us a comment below!
If this sounds like a country for you, find out how you can live and work there with on a UK Working Holiday!