Are you a Canadian citizen wanting to travel to Japan for an extended trip with the possibility of working? Then you are looking at doing a Japan Working Holiday. Before you leave on your trip you will be required to apply for the Japan Working Holiday Visa. If you are unsure what this visa is, check out our post on everything Canadians need to know about the Japan Working Holiday Visa.

In order to be granted the Japan working holiday visa by the Japanese government, you must meet a number of requirements which we’ll break down in this post.

What is the Japan Working Holiday Visa?

The Japan Working Holiday Visa is a type of work permit Canadian passport holders can get that allows you to stay in Japan for up to one year. It also allows you to get a job to help fund your travels around the country. This visa was created as part of an agreement between the Canadian and Japanese governments allowing the exchange of youth between Canada and Japan. You can read more about these agreements, including other countries that have similar agreements with Canada in our post on Working Holidays for Canadians.

Unfortunately, this visa is not available to everyone. There are a number of requirements to meet in order to be eligible to apply for the visa. These requirements are set out by the Japanese government which are reviewed by Japanese officials when you submit your application.

To help you determine if you are eligible for the Japan Working Holiday Visa, we’ve broken down the eligibility requirements below.


Meet the requirements of the Japan Working Holiday Visa to take an extended trip in Japan
Traveling to Japan on a Working Holiday Visa allows Canadians to experience living in Japan like a local.


Japan Working Holiday Visa Eligibility Requirements:


  • Hold a valid Canadian passport
  • Be between 18 and 30 years old at the time you submit your application
  • Primary trip intent is to travel with casual work
  • Have reasonable funds to support your stay in Japan
  • Can prove you will be leaving Japan before your visa expires
  • Are in good health
  • Have no criminal record
  • Have never before been granted a Japan Working Holiday Visa

To give you a better understand of each of these requirements, we’ve explained them in more detail:


Hold a valid Canadian passport

Your Canadian passport must have an expiry date that is no earlier than three months after your intended return date from Japan. If your passport is going to expire before then, you will need to reapply for a new one before you can submit your working holiday visa application.

Between 18 and 30 years old

The Japan working holiday visa is only available to Canadian youth aged 18 to 30 inclusively. This age limit only applies to the timeframe that you submit your application, not when you are actually in Japan. This means you can submit your visa application up until your 31st birthday. However, we recommend leaving a buffer of a couple weeks in case they require additional information from you before granting you the visa.

Once you are granted the visa, you have up to one year to enter Japan before your visa becomes void. As long as have the visa before you turn 31, you can technically enter Japan after your 31st birthday and then stay for up to a year.

Primary purpose is to travel with some casual work

This visa is primarily for Canadians intending to travel to Japan and take on casual/temporary jobs in order to supplement their travel funds. If your only intension for your trip is to work, you will not be approved for this visa. Instead you will need to apply for a work visa.

How do they determine the intention of your trip? With two documents: a detailed itinerary of your trip and a letter of motivation for why you want to go. You can read more about these documents in our step-by-step guide to applying for the Japan working holiday visa.

Prove reasonable support funds

The Japanese government wants to make sure you will have enough money to support yourself before they grant you an extended stay. Even though you will be getting a job, you may not work full-time hours or make a high enough salary to support the cost of living in Japan’s large cities. Therefore, you must have access to a minimum of $2,500 USD (the equivalent in Canadian dollars). The easiest way to prove this is with a recent bank statement from your Canadian bank.

Experience living in Japan on a working holiday visa
Prove your departure

In order to receive the working holiday visa, you must prove you will be leaving the country before your visa expires. The best way to do this is by including your round trip flight itinerary in your application file.

In good health

The best way to provide confirmation you are in good health to travel to Japan is with an official doctor’s note.

No criminal record

This is fairly straight forward. Stay outta trouble kids!

Have never before been granted this visa

This is because you only get one working holiday visa for Japan in your life! If you have already used your Japan working holiday visa, you will need to find another visa you are eligible for to live and work in Japan. Otherwise, there are over 30 more countries that offer Canadians working holiday visas.


If you meet the Japan Working Holiday visa requirements Stepabroad can help you experience living in Japan
What are you waiting for? Get started on your Japan Working Holiday Visa application today!


What Next?

Do you meet all of the eligibility criteria? Congrats! The next step will be to apply for the visa. We recommend you check out our guide that breaks down the Japan working holiday visa application in five simple steps: How Canadians can apply for a Japan Working Holiday Visa.

If you would like assistance filing your Japan working holiday visa application, ourJapan Send Off Package might be just what you’re looking for. We guide you through the application and review your documents to ensure they are filled out correctly. Stepabroad’s special agreement with the Japanese Embassy allows us to submit visa applications on behalf of our participants who live in BC or the Yukon. If you live in another province or territory, we can still help you with the application, but you will need to submit your papers in-person at your closest consulate. In addition to visa application support, we also provide a detailed guide on how to begin your working holiday. It includes how to set up your Japanese bank account, cell phone, find a job, a place to live and so much more!

If you are looking for more assistance getting a job in Japan, check out our Ski Resort Working Holiday and City Working Holiday Programs.


Visit famous sights on your working holiday like the Hakone Shrine on the shores of Lake Ashi


Additional Links:

Still looking for more information? Check out these links below to find out more:

Japanese Embassy in Ottawa

International Experience Canada

Enter your details to view a brochure. We'll also email you a copy to keep for future trip planning!